When is it Too Soon to Start Celebrating Christmas?

by Katharine Zavoda ‘25

Source: Katharine Zavoda ‘25

Published Dec. 1st, 2021

The last few months of the year are full of so much joy for many. Often referred to as the “holiday season,” people are busy celebrating many different events, including Halloween, Diwali, Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, and Christmas.

The celebration of Christmas, in particular, is hardly ever limited to the actual day itself, but the timeline for its celebration differs from person-to-person. 

In a recent MHS student survey, about 91% of the students believe that October is “too soon” to begin celebrating, with the other 9% disagreeing. Tammar Reza ‘24 says that, “Christmas is two months away, which is a long time.” With Halloween being so prominent, Yura Sheykholeslami ‘24 says that “October is “spooky season,” [so] it’s not right to celebrate the holiday of “family and giving” during that time.”

The month of November is more divided, with roughly 52% of the students believing that November is also too soon, about 30% finding it okay to start the festivities, and 18% saying that it depends on when in November people wish to celebrate. Lisa-Marie Zannella ‘25 says “I usually start listening to Christmas music throughout November, but don’t really start decorating or celebrating Christmas until the night of Thanksgiving or the day after.”

There was a clear split in the responses for when people believe that it’s the “perfect time” to begin celebrating. 41% of people say the end of November and 39% say December. The other 20% of students believe that people should start celebrating earlier, such as sometime in October or the beginning of November.

No matter when or to what extent a person celebrates Christmas at any given point, it’s a holiday that many people look forward to. Colson Orvos ‘25 describes it as “a feeling as well as a day.” In the end, it doesn’t really matter when other people believe it’s “too soon” or the “perfect time” to celebrate this holiday. All that matters is spending time with the people you care about.

%d bloggers like this: